A spotting scope is a device that is usually used for hunting, archery, birding, spotting wildlife and even target shooting.
It is really hard to overestimate advantages a spotting scope offers its owner. However, some customers might have a question if they need to buy a spotting scope when they already have a rifle scope or a pair of binoculars. The answer to this question is definitely “YES” and the plausible reason lies in a larger magnification range that any other device is able to provide you with.
There are hundreds of spotting scopes available in the market today. Some of them are pretty cheap while the others are rather expensive. All in all, the main thing you need to consider when choosing a spotting scope is that its price should not compromise the quality.
Spotting scope features you need to pay attention to:
- Angled vs straight spotting scope – there are two types of spotting scopes regarding their construction. There is no difference in their performance and they are just designed to meet personal needs of any customer. If you want something at eye level then you should choose the straight spotting scope, but if you are going to deal regular movement, then the angled one is preferred.
- Lens coating is a very important feature. To deliver the best viewing results the scope should have multi-coated optics that will prevent light reflection and glare.
- Eye relief is the distance between your eye and the scope. Good eye relief makes the usage of the scope easier, especially for people with glasses.
- Magnification range defines the number of times your scope is able to zoom the target.
- Waterproof and fogproof feature protects the spotting scope from any unexpected weather issues as well as dust and dirt, allowing you to use the scope anytime and providing a long-time operation.
Vortex Razor is believed to be the best spotting scope in the line of high-priced ones. It is pretty expensive, however, guarantees to deliver amazing results and provide its owner with the most precise images.
This scope features an angled eyepiece, meaning the body rotates around the mounting point, which allows you to have a wider view. Besides, the scope is also available in a straight version.
- The scope features Premium (High Density) extra-low dispersion glass providing the best resolution.
- Triplet apochromatic lens reduces chormatic aberration.
- Ultra-hard-coated Armor Technology protects exterior lenses from damages and dirt.
- Moreover, all lenses have an XR anti-reflective coating, which increases light transmission and ensures maximum brightness.
- Porro Prism offers maximum image quality and performance.
- The scope is fog- and water-proof.
- The objects are clearly seen even at a minimum distance of 15-20 yards.
- Lens caps are included into the package.
- A green canvas case also comes for free. It has three zippers: one exposes the eyepiece, the other does the lens, and the last gives an access to the tripod connector. The advantage of this case is that you do not need to remove it completely in order to use the scope.
Celestron 52252 is an all-around optical instrument, which is definitely perfect for nature viewing, outdoor sporting activities and target shooting. It possesses a number of good features, though being a very inexpensive product.
- Multi-Coated Optics for perfect images. It works best in bright sunlight at higher magnifications either in any conditions when using lower magnifications.
- 22-66x zoom eyepiece allowing you to reach the most remote objects.
- Sight tube for quick targeting.
- The device is good for digiscoping.
- The scope is manufactured in different variations from Ultima 100-45° to Ultima 80°-Straight.
- A soft carrying case comes free of charge.
- The scope is completely waterproof.
- Some customers state that the quality of the image degrades quickly beyond 40x magnification getting both significantly darker and more blurry.
- The eyepiece does not have a cover, so you have to remove it and put it back into the container every time you use.
- The scope is somewhat huge.
- The eye relief is unsuitable for eyeglass wearers when zooming above 30x.
Anyway, this scope found on Amazon does its job rather good taking into consideration its extremely low price!
MINOX MD 50 is an amazing scope designed in Germany, which will blow your mind with its compactness and a lightweight design (it is ONLY 615 grams). However, its small size does not mean that the quality has been compromised for convenience.
- Incredible focus and accuracy.
- Fully adjustable eyepiece with 16x to 30x magnification.
- The unique MINOX multi-layer M lens coating provides you with a high resolution.
- Travel-friendly due to its compactness.
- Perfect for nature observing and birding.
- The scope is dustproof and waterproof to a depth of five meters. Really astonishing feature!
- It is capable of focusing down to very close objects even at a 10 feet distance.
- The scope comes with a front lens cover and a thimble-shaped large one that screws over the eyepiece for the best protection.
- It is accompanied by the light case.
The only shortcoming is the focus ring which is operated rather stiff.